Saturday, November 14, 2009

Choice One


1. The first thing that I notice and what many other people would notice is the burning house.
2. There are five people all along the train tracks watching their house burn down.
3. The train tracks in this photograph have obviously not been used in a long time since there are plants between the train tracks. I would say that the tracks have not been used in three years.
4. The burning house seems to be made of wood.
5. The objects in front of the house are a huge number of boxes and crates.
6. The time of day is most likely the morning around 7:00am to 8:00 am.
It was a crisp warm summer morning. It was me, my mom, my two sisters and my two brothers. My dad was a career military soldier in the United States Armed Forces. Everyone was just waking up when mother came running into my room yelling something about a fire. I didn't really get what she was saying at the time and believed that I was dreaming and made to lay back down when I started to smell smoke. I realized that this was no dream and proceeded to tell the rest of my family who did not yet know about the fire. We never practiced any ways of getting out of the house in case of a fire and there was a lot of confusion as to where to go. Never did we realize that this could ever happen to us.
Once everyone was awake, mother finally decided that we should meet out front at the train tracks. I believed that I was the last one to get down stairs and by that time the whole house was filled with smoke. Halfway to the door I realized that I did not have much time. The ceiling had started to give way and floorboards started falling down all over the place. The fastest way out was the window to my left. I jumped through and luckily the window had previously been opened. On my way to the train tracks I looked to see if everyone was there and noticed that my brother was missing.
... To be continued...

1 comment: